Saturday, August 19, 2006

Busy, Busy, Busy
What a busy week. We had our first Officer's Spouse's Function on Thursday and had 29 new members join - fantastic but crazy getting everyone signed up and right paperwork done, etc. Went well though I think. I had to go to an awards ceremony yesterday that was a BIG AF Pep Rally and I had a blast. Here is the article I've written for our OSC publication:
Okay, so I’m sitting in the parking lot thinking of some excuse not to stay for the Team Robins Quarterly Awards. It was hot, I was tired, and honestly, I just didn’t want to go. The OSC gives a $25 AAFES gift card to each winner, and someone is usually there to represent the OSC. I finally decided that I would just go in and hoped that it wouldn’t be boring. There was a sponsor’s section up front, but again, I must admit that I was thinking, “If this is boring, I’m outta here!” So I sat in the back row, last seat closest to the door – have you ever done that?

As I was seated and waiting for things to get started, in walks the 19th Air Refueling Group carrying a beaten up trash can, a bat, empty soda cans, blow horns, and more; I thought, “What in the world are they going to do with that stuff at this formal event?” Well, after the Honor Guard presented the Colors and the ceremony got under way, so did the noise! After the mention of a particular unit’s award nominee, there was a roar of SPIRIT! When the presenter announced that there were judges on the second floor balcony judging the crowd’s response, and the result for the best response would be the SPIRIT AWARD, things just got louder. I sat behind DiCicco and his 116 MXP representatives; they were small but mighty in voice! The 5th Combat Comm contingent was also very, very LOUD with blow horns and noise makers and extremely loud voices. The WR-ALC and AFRC were represented with enthusiasm and a small kazoo as well!
I was at a PEP RALLY, and let me tell you, I was impressed. It was exciting to see these service members show their support and pride for their co-workers, both military and civilian. I was very glad I stayed, and I didn’t leave early either; I stayed until the very end. And, for the moment of truth—the SPIRIT AWARD was presented to the 19th Air Refueling Group – the very same ones that walked in with all that stuff that looked like trash.
I have to admit that I was excited and proud to be a part of the 19th; that’s where my husband works. I had that feeling I used to get at my high school pep rally – fired up, and so excited to be a part of Team Robins! It was exciting to see how enthusiastic these men and women were about being part of Team Robins! I’m so proud to be a military spouse and this event just reminded me of that!

We're off to the farm for the day and back home tomorrow - I love going to the farm - a couple hundred acres of NATURE! I think it helps that I adore my inlaws too! We get to eat our favorite pulled BBQ from NEALS! and then go to the races tonight - Steven's brother races cars so that should be a lot of fun - this is only the second time I've gone ~ and the first time I was hit with a huge piece of twisted up metal that came flying at me about 60 miles per hour and soon after a huge dirt clod hit me hard! BUT...I'll give it a try again and am looking forward to it. I probably should take some armor (armour) with me. Then back home tomorrow. Hate that we are missing church though - thankfully it's recorded and we can watch it the following week.
Anyway, must run - Hubby is rounding everyone up - he's gotten the coffee made, breakfast on the table and car loaded - and I'm still at the computer with rollers in my hair, half dressed, and still have to put on my face ~ I told you how spoiled I am and how wonderful he is didn't I?

No comments: